You may have come across the following error message in Windows when you try to open a file or install an application: “Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.”
This error will block you from installing, updating or starting an application or even from opening a file. This error can happen on your computer due to various reasons, such as:
- Do not have sufficient permissions to the file or the file location.
- The location of the file is currently inaccessible or you are disconnected from your network if the file is on a network drive.
- The file may have been deleted or moved and you may be clicking on a corrupt shortcut.
- The file may be blocked by Windows.
Solution to “Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file” Error
Check File Permissions:
1. Right click on the file that is giving the error | Click Properties | Security Tab
2. Edit The required permissions
Ensure File Location is not Broken
Check if the File is Blocked by Windows
Right Click on the file that is giving the error | Properties | General Tab | If the file is blocked, click Unblock.
Do you find this information useful? Why don’t you tell your friends by sharing it on Facebook, Google+ or Twitter. You can also follow me on Twitter @sarayoo.info or Google+ or Like me on my Facebook or on my LinkedIn for more updates, technology tips and tricks, iPhone, iPad, other iOS devices tips, iOS App Deals, Blogging tips, etc. Please leave your comments in the comment section or contact me if you have any other questions.